The Kabud Mosque in Tabriz was built in 1465 as a mausoleum for Jahan Shah, the leader of the Turkmen tribal federation of the Qara Qoyunlu (Empire of Black Mutton). His empire with Tabriz as its capital stretched over large parts of Iran, Azerbaijan and Turkey.
After the Safavids had taken power, the mausoleum was used as a mosque.
Since it was originally completely covered both inside and outside with artistic, blue tiles, it was also popularly called the "blue mosque".
When Tabriz was conquered by the Ottomans in 1514, the Kabud Mosque was also plundered.
It was almost completely destroyed by a severe earthquake in 1779 and then left to decay.
It was not until 1973 that the reconstruction began, which continues to this day.